Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Lingerie Bag Tutorial

Hello everyone!  I finally finished my tutorial that I've been working on this week for you guys!  I'm so excited about how it turned out!  I've had a few comments and emails from people not knowing how to use digital stamps.  They are so fun and versatile to work with....you are only limited by your imagination really.  Today, I wanted to introduce you to a really fun way to use them.....that's a little different than the norm!  I have a really cute digital stamp image of a lingerie set from JW Illustrations and I immediately thought of this project!  Here's what I started with:


Cute right?!  So my idea was to use this as a template and create my own little mini lingerie out of fabric to sew on the front of a lingerie laundry bag.  This is the final product:



I'm really pleased how it turned out and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.  The hardes part was having to hand sew everything!  It took much longer that way, but it was nice to sit and stitch in front of the tv for a change.  Now, this would not HAVE to be done by hand, but I am without a sewing machine at the moment.......soon to change, I hope!

This type of project using digital stamps to create something with fabric is much easier when using an image that has larger scaled pieces.  Does that make sense?!  It would be harder to use an image with a lot of small detail, because you would have to cut and piece much smaller pieces of fabric together.  Now, it would be totally do-able, just more tedious.

Supplies needed:
lingerie laundry bag  (I bought my little lingerie laundry bag at the dollar store, so very reasonable)
digital stamp image
scrap pieces of fabric used for lingerie
old tshirt used for backing
sewing supplies (thread, straight pins)
ribbon, lace and cording used for detail on lingerie

So I started out with my lingerie laundry bag


I printed out 2 of the Amber Lingerie Digital Stamp from JW Illustrations.  One on regular printer paper (used for the tshirt pattern) and one on card stock (used for the fabric pattern)


Take your image printed on printer paper and cut it out leaving a small border around it.  Doesn't have to be precise - this border ends up getting trimmed off later.


I took one of J's old tshirts and cut out a piece large enough for the images, pinned my pattern on with straight pins and trimmed around my pattern leaving a little bit of a border around.  This border is not really needed and get trimmed off later, but it does make it easier to work with having a little extra there when stitching.




Now take your image printed out on card stock and cut out the part of the image that will be your fabric.


Now lay your fabric with the printed side down - so you're marking on the backside of it.  Put a temporary adhesive on the front of your cardstock pieces - I just used pieces of rolled scotch tape - to hold your pattern in place while tracing around it.  Since your fabric is face down, you also want to be sure to lay your pattern face down also.  Use a light pen and trace around your pattern and cut it out.  If you're really good and have a good adhesive, you can just cut around the pattern and cut out the tracing.....but I'm not that good!


Now pin your fabric to your tshirt.


Now start stitching!  After you have your fabric all stitched to your tshirt, you can start having fun with the lace, ribbon and cording to add details to your lingerie!  I used a satin ribbon for the straps, the organza lace with sequins on the edges as shown on the original stamp image, organza ribbon for the bows and some black cording across the bottom of the bust line.  On the bottoms, I used the black cording for the string part and the organza ribbon for the bows.  You could really go crazy and use your imagination with this part, but I tried to stick to the original image as I could for this one.  When you're finished with fixin' it up, you can trim off the extra tshirt.  You still wanna leave a little edge so it's easier to stitch onto the laundry bag.


Now just stitch it to your lingerie laundry bag!  That's it!  Pretty simple!  I think this would be a cute bridal shower gift with a Victoria's Secret gift card inside.


Now if you have a sewing machine and/or a better seamstress than I, you could cut out a few of these steps and do all the stitching at one time, instead of one thing at a time, like I did!  Again, I'm just not that good yet!

Here are a few closer shots of the details:




I hope you enjoyed the tutorial, and if you still have questions, please email or leave them in the comments section.  I will be happy to answer any you may have.  I would also love to see any of your lingerie bags that you make using this tutorial!  Please send me a link or leave the link in the comments section.  So head on over to JW Illustrations to get your image and get started!

I am linking this project to these link parties - you can link yours too!

























Have a great week!

4 comments:

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

That is so adorable. If you get a chance I would love you to link your bag up to More the Merrier Monday. It lasts through Wednesday so you have plenty of time to stop by. See you there. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

Adorebynat said...

What a great idea! And a great tutorial!! I'm still thinking on what will I make with that stamp. Perhaps this weekend I'll make something using this pretty stamp. Thanks for stopping by at my blog.

Tanya Anurag said...

Cool... like it.


We have a link-up party going on - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner. I would really appreciate if you'd link up some of your awesome posts there. Hope to see you at the party.

http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-2-and-features.html

sara said...

what a cute little bag!