Friday, May 6, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

I have a new project to share with you today.  These are the actual projects that I made to give to my mom(s) for Mother's Day this year.  They were quick and easy to do and could be modified to use for any occasion.  The Post it note holder was really fun to do, it's been so long since I had made one.  There are so many new techniques and they keep evolving and coming up with new stuff, but sometimes it's good to go back to the basics!  So here they are:

I started out with 4 1/2" x 8 1/2" piece of Ruby Red cardstock scored at 5 1/2".

Then I cut another piece of Ruby Red cardstock at 4" x 5 1/4".  Most of the time you see different colors used as your next layer, but I decided to use the same color, but I sponged Ruby Red ink on all the edges to make it pop out a bit.  It's very subtle, but it works!

Next I cut a piece of Vanilla cardstock into 1 1/8" x 1 1/8" squares - 12 of them.  6 of them I randomly laid on a embossing plate and ran through my Big Shot to add a little texture.  I cut them first so I could pick exactly where I wanted each piece on the embossing plate.  If you had a more uniform design, like polka dots or something, that wouldn't be necessary.  This is the pattern that I used and how they turned out:

 To make the embossed part pop out, I sponged the Ruby Red ink on top of them.  I just pounced it lightly so the color would be more concentrated on the raised portion.  I didn't use even pressure on them all so they wouldn't be all uniform in color.

I stamped random images from several different sets on the other 6 pieces.  As you can see, you don't have to choose stamps that the whole image fits on the paper.  Just using part of a stamp works great for these smalller pieces.

I worked a little while and moved them around until I found the perfect spot for each one.  I also played around with the spacing and laid them all out before I started adhering them to the paper.

Next I used a Sissix dye for a layered flower.

I sponged the edges of all the layers with the Ruby Red ink.  It really does make a big difference, especially on layers.  See.....

I stacked them all up and punched a hole in the center and added a rhinestone brad.  Now the fun part!  I started crunching the paper all over, crumpling it up around the brad.  It's kind of scary at first, but after you see the result, you aren't afraid any more!  Now just adhere your beautiful flower to the front of the card.

As far as the Post It not holder, it's really easy!  The measurement is 3 1/4" x 8".  Score it at 2", 2 1/4",
5 1/4" and 5 1/2".


I did another flower just like the one on the card except for instead of the rhinestone brad, I used the Build-a-Brad kit.  I got mine from Stampin' Up! and I'm not sure if other companies have it or not.  It's so fun!  It's some brads with a flat front and some clear "bubbles" with adhesive on the back to go on top of it. 

Stamp on some paper, punch it out with the 1/2" circle punch, use some glue to adhere it to the flat part of the brad and then stick on the clear bubble. I used alphabet stamps and used their initials.

They turned out so nice, I love them!

I added some velcro to the Post It note holder for the closure.

I hope you find some time to try these projects.  If you do, please post a comment with a link to your project, I would love to see them!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Mother's Day!  Thanks for stopping by and as always questions and comments are welcome!

I'm linking up this project here: